Summer Newsletter:– Ambassadors programme- Training for educators- Football Against Racism in Europe fortnight- Exhibition tourSRTRC Ambassadors programme
Show Racism the Red Card deliver a range of education programmes harnessing the high profile of sport and sports personalities to combat racism. We are inviting schools to be involved in the SRTRC Ambassador programme, funded by the Office for Promotion of Migrant Integration. Our mission is to challenge racism through:
- Offering educational and intercultural training and activities that support integration.
- Enabling role models – who are predominantly, but not exclusively, sportspeople – to present an anti-racism message to young people and others.
Anti Racism Workshops-A typical workshop will take learners through what is racism, how it happens, its impact and how to respond.- A typical coaching session will involved fun team building, communication and gamesOptional-Assembly with Q&A session with Ambassador/s and presentation with our mascot Jeff the Ref. The sessions are facilitated by SRTRC and SRTRC Ambassadors. The ambassadors are Conan Byrne (St Patricks Athletic), Don Cowan (Longford Town), Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin), Oisin Fagan (Boxer) and Eleanor Mallon (Antrim Ladies GAA).
Options After the workshop
- Creative Competition- Teachers are invited to register for participating in the SRTRC Creative Competition 2016. The competition is an opportunity for young people to produce a written, visual or audiovisual piece on the anti-racism theme. The competition concludes with an awards presentation at the AVIVA stadium and is followed by an exhibition of entries, which tours the country. www.theredcard.ie/competition
- Teacher Training – We are also available to deliver teacher training to help in distilling an anti racism message and promoting intercultural education. The training involves face to face workshop combined with an online module at training.theredcard.ie
Book a workshop now We are writing to you now to invite you to book an Anti Racism Workshop in your school and indicate the following:
- Proposed Dates
- Numbers of classes
- Any issues you might like addressed
Football Against Racism in Europe fortnight of action is 8-22nd October. Get your club involved to mark this all European action week against racism. The week of action will be marked in Ireland as grassroots level in football, national league and at the international game and internationally at Champions League matches as well as all levels of the game in different countries.Contact us for more information./ check out this link for the small grants scheme to support actions http://www.farenet.org/campaigns/football-people-action-weeks/resources/Creative Competition ExhibitionWe are preparing an exhibition of work submitted over the last 5 years. We hope to bring the exhibition to as many locations as possible around the country. The purpose of the exhibition is to spread the anti-racism message and inspire others to be involved in taking action against racism and to recognise good practice examples of schools and youth services already involved.If you can help find a location to host this exhibition for a week, please contact us.
We want to increase the numbers of those in education using our DVD education pack. We have a training course for teachers/ youth workers/ educatorsOur education resources can help educators and those working with young people to promote anti-racism culture and challenge attitudes. Our aim is to train professionals involved in both formal and non-formal education to tackle racism through education.Our training involves classroom and gym hall interactive learning on the following themes:– what is racism- how it happens- how to respond- where racism comes from- activities you can deliver in the classroom and gym hall to promote anti racism education.The classroom workshop is complemented by an online module at Training.theredcard.ie Our website is www.theredcard.ie and the downloads section is at www.theredcard.ie/teachers – in the downloads section, there are sheets which are part of some activities in the pack.